SCCM 2012 Active Directory System Discovery brings a couple of default Active Directory attributes :
I get often asked if it’s possible to add a SCCM 2012 custom active directory attributes.
The answer is yes, you can add any AD attribute, and it’s quite simple.
For this post, I’ll add the Description attribute from a computer account.
SCCM 2012 Custom Active Directory attributes Configuration
- Natiguate to Administration / Hierarchy configuration / Discovery Method
- Right click Active Directory System Discovery
- Select the Active Directory Attributes tab
- Enter or select your attribute from the Available Attributes list
- If the wanted attribute is not listed, simply click the Custom button and enter it manually
- Click Add
- Ensure that your new attribute is listed in the Selected attribute list and click OK. In this example, I’ve added Description attribute.
Once completed, initiate a Full Discovery on Active Directory System Discovery by right clicking it and choose Run Full Discovery Now
Wait for the scan to finish, you can monitor the process by opening adsysdis.log on your site server.
As this is discovery data, the resulting data will be stored in the V_R_System view.
With this new data you could create a new collection based on this newly collected data.
- Create a new collection
- Add a Query Membership Rule
- Edit the Query Statement
- Add a new criteria
- Click the Select button and select System Resource under Attribute class
- Select Description under Attribute
- Select the desired value (ex: like %SQL% ) and close all windows. This will add all resources having SQL in the description filed
- Update collection membership and see the result in your collection
You can also query this information and include it in your reports.
For my example I’ve run the query on the computer shown in the first screenshot.
The description field in SCCM matches the data from Active Directory.
Use the following Technet link to know more about Active Directory system discovery.
Founder of System Center Dudes. Based in Montreal, Canada, Senior Microsoft SCCM Consultant, 5 times Enterprise Mobility MVP. Working in the industry since 1999. His specialization is designing, deploying and configuring SCCM, mass deployment of Windows operating systems, Office 365 and Intunes deployments.