Asset Intelligence is a feature in Configuration Manager that allows to identify and manage the inventoried software of your environment. It’s populated by the hardware inventory scan on each client.
The catalog contains data about inventoried software and 5 labels can be defined to standardize product name or any useful information in your catalog. Software’s developers are not always following a standard name for their own products. Consequently, the data quality for software reports will be better.
In this post, we will show how you can maximize the use of custom labels in Asset Intelligence. We will use Office Visio as an example for this post.
If Asset Intelligence is not enabled in your infrastructure, you can enabled the component by following Technet post.
Asset Intelligence Console Overview
- From the Configuration Manager console, click on Asset and Compliance in the left panel
- Expand Overview / Asset Intelligence and click on Inventoried Software
All inventoried software on devices will be listed at that location.
On the left side, it’s the information from original software source from the device and on the right side, the custom labels. There’s 2 labels that are configured by default named Category and Family. We don’t see any advantage of using them as is.
Don’t worry if they are helpful in your organization, we still have 3 additional custom labels that we can use but will not be covered in this post.
We will use 2 default and 3 custom labels.
- Category column as Publisher is for Microsoft
- Family column as Family is for Office Visio
- Label 1 column as Type is for Professional and Standard
- Label 2 column as Version is for 2007, 2010 and 2013
- Label 3 column as Tag is for Licensing
In some situation, Type will not be automatically used like Adobe Photoshop CS6.
Follow the below steps to customize Office Visio in Asset Intelligence.
- In the console, from the left panel, click on Asset and Compliance
- Expand Overview / Asset Intelligence and right click on Catalog
- Select Create Software Category to create a Publisher
- Select Create Software Family to create a Family
- Select Create Software Label to create a Type, Version or Tag
- Enter the category, family or label name in the selected field (Below screenshot)
- Enter a description if needed (Below screenshot)
- Click Next
- Confirm your addition, click Next and Close
Repeat for each label that need to be created. You can verify your new label by clicking on Catalog under Asset Intelligence. Once you complete, it will be the time to tag all Office Visio products.
- From the Asset Intelligence node, click on Inventoried Software
- Click on the search field, type Visio and click Search. This action will list software with Visio
- Right click on the selected products and choose Properties. You can also select more than one software at a time
- Select specific Category and Family
- Click on Custom Labels tab
- Select specific Type, Version and Tag
Do this exercise with all Office Visio products present in the catalog.
If you change more than one product at the same time, please refresh the list to obtain new modification. Once everything is finished for Visio products, sort the list by Label 3 and you should see something like this.
As you can see, it is a clearest result and it’s easier to standardize your products. You can use the same structure for every products. There’s an operational cost attached with the usage of Asset Intelligence to maintain new entries but it’s definitely worth it.
In the next blog post, we will show you how to create reports based on custom labels.
Asset Intelligence Blog Series
- Part 1 | Why should you use Asset Intelligence in SCCM 2012
- Part 2 | How to maximize the use of Asset Intelligence with Labels
- Part 3 | Create Custom Reports with Labels of Asset Intelligence
- Part 4 | Merging Last Usage of Software Metering with Custom Labels of Asset Intelligence
- Part 5 | Automatically Uninstall Unused Applications based on Software Metering with SCCM